The Weekly Personal Finance Digest – Memorial Day Edition
For all of those in the US, I hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend. I know that I am spending a lot of time with my family,which is awesome. My wife and I got to enjoy a nice dinner out for our 5th wedding anniversary yesterday. It was nice to spend some quality time together as Grandma was babysitting. These are the times when it is nice to be around family.
There was a lot of good stuff going around the personal finance space this week. I enjoyed reading quite a bit, but wasn’t able to read as much as I would have liked. I have been getting very busy at work lately, and I need to focus on getting things done there, even at night in some cases. Either way, I am putting together my Weekly Top
12 10, so I hope you enjoy.
12 10 Personal Finance Articles
The following articles are in no particular order.
- Do We Need to Fire the Entire Financial Advice Industry? on Mr. Money Mustache – This article is about how the mainstream financial advice industry gets away with providing people with crappy advice that doesn’t make financial sense.
- Earning > Saving on Beating Broke – A simple, yet powerful message about how earning more will get you further than saving. While saving is a thing that people should do, many don’t talk about increasing their earnings.
- Thursday Rant: 2008? Huh? What!? on 1500 Days to Freedom – I just can’t get enough of the 1500 crew and their rants. They are now ranting about why we have forgotten about what happened in 2008. Do you remember when the economy was in the tank and people were losing their jobs left and right? Did you change the way you deal with money? I know I did.
- Debt Relief for Dummies on Listen, Money Matters – My friend Andrew put together a really great resource to help people get out of debt. He really breaks it down. I recommend it!
- Should I Get a Smartphone? on Eyes on the Dollar – Kim is asking if she should get a smartphone. This is always a dilemma in our family. Though we both have smartphones, we cannot find the right mix of great coverage and good pricing. Why are the prices of mobile phones so high?
- Marriage and Money: How We Make it Work on Club Thrifty – Holly and I disagreed on my Love and Money post, but I still consider the Club Thrifty crew friends and I enjoy their hard work. This is how they deal with their marriage and their money.
- 10 Shockingly Stupid “Money-Saving” Moments From TLC’s Extreme Cheapskates on PT Money – I have only seen the show once and that was no at our house. There is frugal and then there are these crazy people. I just don’t see the point.
- Why Budgets are Bogus on Cash Cow Couple – This is a pretty good article about budgets. You are either on the side of budgets or no budgets.
- 4 Mistakes I Made When I First Started Investing on Reach Financial Independence – Pauline is not your average investor, she thinks outside of the box, but everyone makes mistakes.
- Saving Money for Rainy Days: Why is it so Difficult? on The Frugal Toad – Why is saving money so hard? Well, dig in with Paul and get some reasoning behind it.