The Weekly Personal Finance Digest – It’s Hot!
Well, it is that time again. Sunday is here and another weekend has escaped me. I just don’t know where the time is going anymore and I feel that I am just trying to chase it around. It is time to pull the whiteboard out and get myself back in line again. I have been running full throttle at work, so this blog has been taking the backseat. It happens!
It’s Hot, so Why Not?
Since it is summer, my air conditioner decided to stop working. Of course it did! There are sometimes when I just want to go outside and go all office space on that stupid unit. It has become such a headache. Reason being is that the original installer put an undersized unit on the house when they built it. This means that it is constantly working too hard and can’t keep the house at a good temperature, neither in summer or winter.
So, last week, I was cooking dinner and heard the outside unit just running, but no air was coming out. I investigated for a bit and found that the air handler in our attic was not working. This has happened before, so I was starting to worry. The last time it happened, it ended up costing me $800 to fix. Boo! I went through my checklist of items and found that the fan upstairs would work on it’s own without the condenser, but they refused to work together. That just doesn’t give you cold air then.
I called the A/C repair company that I used on the regular and they came out a few days later. Of course, when they came, the unit was working fine. Dammit! I can’t catch a break when stuff like this happens. I told the repairman of the issues and he started going through both units and testing them. It appeared that the issue was electrical, so it could be a few things going wrong.
At the end of the day, my wallet was a few hundred dollars lighter and I thought the unit was fixed. The repairman put on a new relay board because it was looking a little toasted. The A/C turned on and worked well when he left. If only that would have done the trick…..
The unit stopped working again when I was cooking dinner that night (maybe a coincidence?). I was pissed because it was Thursday night and I couldn’t stay home again the next day to wait for the repairman. So, all in all, my A/C unit will work randomly, but we have been without cool air since Monday and here it is Sunday and the unit is still not functioning correctly. Time for another call and another day working from home. Stupid air conditioner!
This Week’s Reads on Debt Roundup
- One Year Of Being Credit Card Debt Free!
- Financing a Car for the First Time? 5 Things You’ll Need to Know
- How To Talk Your Way To Lower Credit Card Interest Rates
- Overlooking the Cost of Vacation in Favor of the Experience + Cash Giveaway
- Is Your Car Driving You To Bankruptcy?
Top Personal Finance Articles
There were a lot of good reads out there this week, but I am only going to choose a few.
- Thursday Rant: Dracula’s $3,000 Steampunk Stroller on 1500 Days to Freedom
- Balancing FOMO and Debt on Girl Meets Debt
- Expired warranty: Do you buy expensive cheap junk? on Canadian Budget Binder
- Just Make a Decision on Evolving Personal Finance
- A Zombie Apocalypse; Pay out my life insurance premium! on The Fearless Men
- Things I Would Never Do: Pay An Employee With a Prepaid Debit Card on Frugal Rules